donderdag 12 november 2015

Teaching in Thailand vs. teaching in the Netherlands. Part 3

I started writing this blog in August 2013 and I'm happy that I did. It's a memory of an incredible journey. A journey that taught me so much about myself, the world and the amazing connections we can make with the people around us. A journey I love to share with you all.

After one year of working in Thailand I thought it was time to go back home, the Netherlands. Eventually I decided to stay longer. Why? Because I'm completely happy with what I'm doing with my life at the moment. In this blog I will tell you more about my teaching experiences in Thailand. I have the most incredible job teaching a different language to these beautiful, young souls. They warm my heart with joy when they laugh and they learn so fast. I've been very lucky that most of my family and close friends had the chance to visit and see how I live my life on the other side of the world.

The last 1,5 years I've been teaching in Thailand at a primary school with an English program. I have two kindergarten classes with 20 - 30 students in each class. Or let's just say... kids. Because that's what they are. I call them "my kids". I teach them throughout the whole year. After my second year I can say that I had the privilege of teaching about one hundred (mostly Thai) children their first words of English <3



When my kids start school, most of them don't speak any English. Some of them don't even speak at all. Hearing them say English words and understanding what I'm saying at some point is... it sounds cliche, but yes; Fulfilling.
I'm not gonna lie. It's not easy teaching kindergarten. There are a lot of students in one class. In the beginning of the year most of them cry because it's their first days in school. I'm so thankful for the Thai teachers I'm working with. I have two Thai teachers in each class and they're very helpful. I try to help them and show my appreciation as much as I can. They hardly speak English but we find our way by being friendly. With good intentions we work together. Sadly, there's a huge gap between the Thai teachers and the English teachers in the school. Most teachers find it hard to communicate with each other. Of course there is a language barrier and working together is not easy because of that reason. Also because of cultural differences working together can be challenging. Thai teachers have a different culture than Western teachers. But Americans also have a different culture than South Africans. Western teachers get treated better; we get a higher salary, work shorter days and we get more days off. It's simply not fair.

I share an office with all the kindergarten teachers. Around six teachers for Kindergarten 1 to Kindergarten 3. Also the number of teachers in our office changes regularly. It's a bunch of people far away from home so you can imagine that stuff happens all the time. Also the school can decide to not extend your contract after a year or after probation (three months).

In the morning my little ones have to sit and stand in a perfectly straight line of boys and girls. We have no such thing in the Netherlands so I'll try to explain what the morning assembly's like. The assembly takes part in a big hall with all the kindergarten classes. They have to sit, stand, listen, sing, dance and even meditate in this first half an hour of school, without complaining. Most of them don't complain, they just do it. It's not always fun and very interactive, but I can understand that from their perspective, it's important to do this.


The Kings Song will be played and we all have to stand up before assembly starts. Every once in a while I have assembly duty in which I have to sing, dance or do something with all the kindergarten students. As long as it's educational. The Thai teachers love to dance with the students. Many times we are dancing with them on Thai pop music.

After assembly I have coffee and prepare my lessons and materials I need for the day. Some days are very busy and other days it's easier to get things done. It's still a job that requires a lot of preparation. Every quarter of the year there are tests, evaluation schedules and scores that need to be put on paper. Every half a year there is the final test. In these times my kids have to sit down with a pencil and a piece of paper and make English and Math tests.


Some of them can barely hold the pencil, simply because they are too young to do this. We also do oral tests with the students which is, to my opinion, more accurate. The tests are made by teachers according to the course outlines. We follow the course outlines that are based on the English and Math books we teach.
 
Kindergarten, lower primary and upper primary have their own coordinator who basically makes sure that everyone does what they have to do. Being a coordinator is not an easy job. You're also dealing with people that have never really wanted to be teachers and have troubles teaching. I understand that they teach anyway, just because they can and because they want to have that experience. Not to forget, it's a way of affording to stay in beautiful Thailand. Unfortunately some people don't think of the fact that they are working with children. It's really not fair to them if you're not capable to do this job and decide to leave. You are an inspiration and an example to them. They learn from YOU!

Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all - Aristotle. 

Before I started teaching in Thailand I was teaching full time at a Primary school in the Netherlands.
 I had to find my own way by mixing what I know and learned from teaching back home and what is expected here in Thailand. Here in Thailand, I've seen that it's very important to show the parents, in many ways, that the students are learning English. Sounds logical. But "how it looks" is the main focus, how it actually works best, is not. Whereas in the Netherlands we are extremely focused on what works best and eventually end up having too many rules and regulations. In Thailand there are rules and regulations, but they're not as solid and clear. We show scores on paper and give (mostly positive) comments about the students. The parents want to look inside the classroom and see perfectly lined up students looking and listening to the teacher. Their clothes perfectly ironed and washed, their hair nicely combed. A lot of students get extra English lessons after school. They really want their child to preform well. They want people to notice and show their admiration.


Math and English involves all around the understanding of numbers and letters and basic knowledge about these subjects. I practice with my students by using a lot of flashcards and by songs, drilling (letting the students repeat and say the words), playing games, roll-play, arts and crafts, reading stories etc. The students have expected learning outcomes for each subject. They have pages of work that need to be done. The students learn to write numbers and letters in their first year of school. How I actually reach the goals, is mostly up to me. It works for me, but if you're an inexperienced teacher you will find that this is a big challenge. I love the fact that I can be creative and think of fun new ways of teaching these subjects. This year we have new books and with this book I can be more interactive with the students and teach them how to answer basic questions like: "What do you want?", "What do you like?", "What is this?" etc. I make my kids answer in full sentences, and they can do it. I'm proud of how much they learn even within half a year time.





All teachers probably wonder how I deal with the differences of the students in my classroom. In this school they don't divide the students in different level groups. I have to teach classical. Classical teaching is not allowed in the Netherlands anymore. The education system in Thailand is quite like the Dutch education system 20 years ago. I teach classical for about 20 minutes and after that the students do book work. The same thing is expected from every one of them. I know that there are students that can't reach all the expected learning outcomes. The differences are huge.





In Primary some students will most definitely struggle and there's nothing you can really do.  The only thing you can do is advise the parents and tell them their child needs extra lessons. My main goal is to teach my kids how to be motivated by positive reinforcement and rewarding them. I give them extra guidance in groups or one by one. Most important is that they are having fun while learning English. Every day I enter the classroom to teach my kids I see their cute little faces light up when they see me. It's priceless."Cute" is an understatement.

Happiness doesn't result from what we get, but what we give. - Ben Carson

My kids say "thank you" all the time, as well as the parents. Thailand's culture is pleasant, soft, respectful. Time slows down and people smile a lot. The parents show their appreciation by giving treats, telling and/or writing me how their child loves to learn English.



Once a year there's "Wai Kru" day; teacher appreciation day. They students bring flowers for the teachers. They kneel down in front of you and "wai". For a Westerner, it can be awkward. I notice a difference in Thailand when it comes to how teachers are treated. The fact that it's already part of their culture to respect teachers definitely helps. Students and parents are mostly polite and giving. Everywhere I go, when I tell them "khun kru", which means: I'm a teacher, they show their appreciation giving discounts or giving you the best service you could get and of course a lot of smiles and "wai's". The way they greet in Thailand, by putting their hands together, is to me, a beautiful and respectful gesture.



There is so much more I could tell you about my teaching experiences. I hope that I answered some questions and have given you a good impression of what it's like. Feel free to ask more questions. Remember that this is my experience and I'm not saying that every school in Thailand is the same. I'm sure that Western teachers have totally different experiences over here.
The people that I'm surrounded with have always been supportive and inspiring. I miss my friends and family back home. Especially when I can't be there for special occasions. It's also because of them that I am the person I am today. Home will always be home, but after this amount of time of being here, I can say that Thailand is starting to feel like home too.


I went back to the Netherlands for one month and then came back to Thailand. I found a new beautiful apartment in one day. In that same week life also gave me a big slap in the face. It might look like I live this perfect life, but I also have my ups and downs. It makes me realize what a strong woman I have become. I know what's good for me and what's not.
My work is not stressful, I enjoy teaching. That helps a lot. Almost every day I leave work feeling good about myself. I can decide if I want to watch the sunset on the beach, go home and be lazy, get creative or go out with friends. All I need is myself, love, all that I can give and create.



1 opmerking: