donderdag 30 januari 2014

There and back: my last month in Asia

It's almost half a year since I left home. Time flies. Looking back I am so grateful for all the experiences I've had. Every destination feels like a new chapter of a really good story. That's why traveling is so addictive I guess.. Not really knowing what is going to happen next, the new great people you're going to meet, how beautiful the next destination will be... Living in the moment. Back home I was always always planning. Living from an agenda, making appointments. Traveling gives you the feeling of freedom, that the world is at your feet and not trapped in between four walls, that there are new possibilities everywhere.

Now that I have finished my TEFL (teach English to foreign learners) course, an other new chapter is about to start again.

It is exciting,  but times like these I actually miss my friends and family the most. Home is still the feeling of safety. There is always someone there to rely on when something goes wrong. While traveling I'll always have to face it myself and move on. It's a good thing but it's sometimes scary. But in the end, when I finally reached that goal or destination,  I have this great feeling of independence and I know I'll always be fine, even when the safety-net is gone. 
 
In the beginning of January I started the TEFL course in Phuket town Thailand.  I said goodbye to Koh Rong island and my Koh Rong family. The journey was horrible. After not using any atms for a month  I found out on mainland that my atm card was not working. I traveled for two days with almost no money, a bag of chips, oreo cookies and a bottle of water. But I made it to Phuket! When I finally had acces to money again I ate loads of food in this huge super modern supermarket. They had practically everything. I appreciated it even more after two days of being hungry. I fell in love with the bakery section. I just love bread and it's really hard to get good bread in Asia. All the luxury was overwhelmingly good.
 
My first night in the school-hotel something very special happened.  I just got ready to go out to have some drinks with the other students. When I walked outside my room into the computer-room I saw a creature walking on the tables. I thought it was a monkey but it moved so slow, I realised it was something different. I walked inside my room to get my camera and when I walked outside, it was still there trying to "run away" from me. I called my trainer Eric to tell him that there was animal in the school. When I described it, he told me it could be a slow-loris. A creature that is almost about to extinct and is very rare in this part of Thailand! He called the animal rescue team and he made his way over to the school. In the meantime the Loris was hiding behind the closet. I tried to give it some jam and sugar but it was so scared. I searched up some information about the Loris and I read an article: " top 10 cutest but most dangerous animals" .. I read that it's better not to touch the animal because it has toxic saliva.. And I did touch the Loris.. by the time the rescue team came I was sort of freaking out. I just waited it out hoping nothing weird would happen me. My biggest concern was the Loris. The rescue team captured the cute creature and promised to release it in the wild. And I know they will. These guys were the good guys. After all I was fine, nothing weird happened to me and the Loris is set free. What a great start of a new adventure!  

Here's a video of the Loris being captured: 

We started the course with 8 students. Which is a very small group compared to the number of students normally attend. We finally ended up with just the two of us. Me and Jean from the Philippines. What an awesome girl. She just made me laugh everyday. The rest of the group did half of the course online (cheaters!! ;) ) and 2 left because of other reasons. The first two weeks were doable and the last two weeks were really hard. Class in the morning, preparing your lessons and working on our projects in the day, in the evenings we were teaching. I passed the grammar and phonology test in one go (never expected that, it was really hard) and all my given lessons were satisfactory. Now I have an international degree in teaching English! Victory!!!




I managed to get a job in a language school for a few hours in a week. I was looking at apartments, thinking about buying a scooter, starting a life. I met some really cool people whom are also working abroad. Had some great days with these people. Barbequeing on a rooftop, going to fancy beachbars where free champagne was served. The "epic" girls night out (all the ingredients for a "girls night out" included: someone cried, someone puked, someone got angry, someone pied in public, half of the group went home early)  chill out sundays drinking cold beers in the best beachbar in Phuket. 


 
Life was treating me well. But for some reason I started to miss home really bad. I was looking for another job because I wanted to work full-time. I met so many teachers by now, they knew for sure there are many possibilities to start work in April/May. The schools have summer holiday now. But when I do start working, I'll have to commit to a one year contract. I have already been away for six months. The thought of being away for another year without seeing my friends and family scared me. So I randomly decided to go back to Holland. With the plan that I will return and start working here in Thailand for a year. But first I need to feel ready to start this beautiful life. To enjoy it to the fullest, I'll have to see my loved-ones first.
I learned one very important lesson while I was traveling. I will never force myself into situations anymore. When it doesn't feel right I should stop doing it. When I meet people or when I'm in place or situation that's making me feel unhappy, I will step away from it. Life is too short to waste time doing things you don't like or spend time with people you don't like. Life always treats me well when I'm doing the things that make me happy.

People asked me if I have changed. I wouldn't say i've changed, I just know more and more who I am and who I want to be as person. I am more confident, fulfilled , and I can always be myself around everyone and every new stranger that I meet. I'm not afraid of peoples opinions.
I thank my friends and family for being so involved and supporting. I am back in Holland and they're still there for me. Nothing's changed. I found a great group of people around  me that believe in me and my dreams. 

Now it's time to enjoy good bread and cheese, my own bed and shower, my huge selection of shoes, jackets, hats, shawls, broodjes kroket, stamppot, movie nights, cooking my own food and offcourse meeting my friends and family and hugging my cat!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten